10 Things I Love about New Zealand
Inspired by a post by EmbejoEtc about the 10 things she loves about New Zealand, I thought I’d do the same. Because my list is a bit different.
New Zealand is my adopted country – and I’d guess the things I like the best aren’t really noticed by those who live here:
1) I can see the stars at night. I can see the Milky Way!! Okay, so I live in a semi-rural part of New Zealand. But seriously, it amazes me every time I go outside on a clear night and look up to see all the beautiful stars. I swear, they were never that clear and crisp in Canada, except near my Grandparent’s house up North.
2) Less rain. I moved from a temperate Rainforest to a plethora of sunshine. This is fantastic. In Canada I suffered from SAD every January.
3) I know my neighbours. They’re friendly, and they care. In Canada I might have known my immediate neighbours. Here, I know my whole street. They watch my house, I watch theirs. They let me know when something is going on.
4) New Zealand Playcentre Federation. This non-profit organisation hasn’t just helped me be a better parent and introduced me to friends; it has helped me understand myself better and given me opportunities to learn, travel, and extend myself I wouldn’t otherwise have had. Every new parent needs Playcentre. Unfortunately, it’s unique to New Zealand.
5) I’m at home with my children. In Canada we would have needed two incomes to survive. Here, 1 income and a tenth counts. (My work is extremely part time.)
6) Tui birds. Their song is gorgeous. Every time I hear one I have to stop and listen. And look for them, because they’re often close by. Once, there was one less than an arms length from me in my mandarin tree.
7) Fruit trees everywhere! I am constantly amazed at the amount of fruit people have in their backyards. Citrus, stone fruit, everything. And it’s plentiful, too.
8 ) Year round school. No 3 months off for summer. We get 1 month and a couple of weeks off from Christmas to February, and 2 weeks off between school terms. This works so much better than what I remember from school!!
9)Monarch butterflies. They’re everywhere. it’s beautiful. They take my breath away.
10) Strawberries at Christmastime. YUM.
Next I shall tell you my least favourite things. 🙂
(edited to add: My hubby demanded to know why he didn’t make the list. I told him this list wasn’t about him.)