My guest star picks for a new Muppet Show
With all the excitement over the Muppet Movie, there’s been a positive upswing on Muppet interests. I’ve recently (FINALLY!) managed to get my hands on Seasons 2 and 3 of the Muppet Show, and in the midst of watching, Hubby wondered out loud why the Muppet Show was cancelled.
Our Google search took us to the Muppet Wiki, which had, as an aside, things they were working towards. One of them was a new Muppet Show. Assuming they are going to go back to their roots and not be silly with a Muppets Tonight flavour, I’m all for the idea (Good writers. It’s all about good writers!!).
So then I got to thinking… who would I like to see guest star on the new Muppet Show?
Here’s my top 10 list (in no particular order):
- Robin Williams – so much possibility here. Good writers would have a field day. As long as they left room for the ad-lib for which Robin is infamous.
- Penn and Teller – Possibly a new Magician muppet? The Amazing Mumford in a guest star appearance? Or a new Muppet that calls “Bullsh*t” on things other Muppets do? Maybe they need to work with Lew Zeeland or Crazy Harry!!
- Bret McKenzie and Jemaine Clement (Of Flight of the Conchords fame) – Bret, of course, wrote the music for the Muppet Movie but Bret and Jemaine have their own brand of comedy that would fit right in with the Muppets. I could see Jemaine having a bonding session with Gonzo and the Muppets about being strange.
- Reese Witherspoon – You just know Miss Piggy would not be impressed with Reese being on the show. Reese might steal the frog!!
- Jack Black – I’ve mentioned this before. Jack would have a field day. He’s half Muppet himself. Plus he looks like a dark-haired version of Paul Williams, who was given the title “Honorary Muppet.” Surely Jack should be too.
- Sofía Vergara – This would just be a lot of fun.
- Hugh Laurie – Hugh is funny, he sings, and he plays several instruments. Plus, Veterinarians Hospital could do with a touch of “House,” couldn’t it?
- Betty White – I can see her counselling Miss Piggy on how to finally land Kermit, coaching Fozzie on his jokes, and encouraging Gonzo to try his next zany act.
- Neil Patrick Harris – He’d probably be better than Kermit at hosting the show – maybe Neil’s evil alter ego needs to take over the Muppet Show? Or maybe he’s hosting a Muppet Awards Ceremony?
- Colin Mochrie, Wayne Brady and Ryan Stiles (From Whose Line is it Anyway fame) in any combination.
If you’re a Muppets fan, who would your picks be, and why?