Everybody should work retail at some time in their life.
Five reasons why I believe everyone should work in retail for at least 6 months:
5) You can learn how to “count up” change. (“You gave me $10, and the item was $6.50. 50 cents makes $7 and $3 makes $10.)
4) You can learn how to roll your eyes at customer’s stupid questions without them noticing. “Um, I want a book. It had a blue cover, and it was on Oprah.”
3) You can practice your diplomacy skills. Not just on your customers, but on your co-workers, too. “Yes, being a manager would be a great position.”
2) You can learn how not to be that idiot customer when you’re on the other side of the counter. “Yeah, hi, I’m looking for a book that has to be special ordered… I’ve brought the name, author, publisher and ISBN information for you. And yeah, I know it could take 4-6 weeks, and I’m prepared to pay for it now.”
1) You learn the importance of having first aid. So that when a customer walks in and says “I feel funny. Do you have a place where I can sit down?” And you take them to a chair, and then they suddenly have a seizure, you know what to do. Instead of, say, running around the food court of the mall yelling for somebody who has first aid while your colleague calls 911.